DETROIT (WXYZ) – If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, winter activities continue with the Port Huron Chili Fest returns and Fire & Ice Night in Bloomfield Hills.
Those who want to stay indoors can enjoy Sesame Street Live!, and a showcase featuring more than 30 African American contemporary artists opens this weekend.
Here is a list of seven things to do in Dee:
- Saturday evening 5 pm to 9 pm
- Urbanrest Brewing Company at 2615 Wolcott Street in Ferndale
- Urbanrest Brewing Company is hosting its fourth annual Burns Night event after a two-year hiatus. The event honors Scottish poet Robert Burns. There will be food, songs, dance and storytelling. Sausage rolls, nip and tatties, shortbread and other Scottish delicacies will be available. Local musicians will perform with bagpipes and there will be Highland dancing.
Detroit Pistons vs Houston Rockets
- saturday at 7 pm
- Little Caesars Arena at 2645 Woodward Avenue in Detroit
- The Detroit Pistons will take on the Houston Rockets at Little Caesars Arena on Saturday.
- Saturdays 5 PM to 8 PM
- Bowers School Farm at 1219 E. Square Lake Road in Bloomfield Hills
- Winter festivities are also underway in Bloomfield Hills. This weekend and all of February Bowers School Farm will be open to the public for a variety of winter events. Exclusively this weekend, visitors can watch a live ice sculpting event and see a performance by fire dancers. General admission tickets also allow guests to meet the farm animals and will give visitors access to the ice skating rink. Ticket holders can pay more to enjoy 50 minutes of tubing.
- Saturday 2 PM to 7 PM
- South Main Street at Royal Oak
- This weekend, the Onesie Bar Crawl is back at Royal Oak. The costumes for this event are meant to keep the participants warm as they travel from bar to bar. Tickets include an LED pacifier, flashing LED glasses, drink specials, and a souvenir cup. Participating bars will be listed on the lanyards provided on the day of the event.
- Friday 7 PM to 10 PM and Saturday 8:45 AM to 10 PM
- Blue Water Area at 701 McMorran Boulevard in Port Huron
- It’s cold outside, but there’s a way to warm up in Port Huron during the annual Chili Festival. The two-day event began with a free outdoor concert on Friday. The chili contest begins on Saturday. The cook-off will look more like a crawl, with participants visiting restaurants to sample different chilies. People can pay $7 to try all 15 samples of the chili and vote for their favorite. There will also be family-friendly activities like Silent Disco on Ice, an indoor Kids Zone, ice carving, a cornhole tourney and more.
Sesame Street Live! make your magic
- Thursdays at 11am, Fridays at 11am, Saturdays at 10:30am, 2:30pm and 6:30pm and Sunday afternoons
- Fox Theater at 2211 Woodward Avenue in Detroit
- Families can join Elmo on his journey in search of “the power of yet” during this live performance. Elmo is working to learn magic tricks and meets magician Justin who comes to Sesame Street to perform. Elmo doesn’t know how to do magic but is determined to learn. Friends from Sesame Street, Abby Cadabby, Big Bird and more will also learn new things during the show as science, baking, puppetry, colors mix. And the music will knock the participants out of their seats.
Umoja Art Basel Opening Ceremony
- Friday 5 PM to 9 PM and Saturday 1 PM to 6 PM
- Umoja Fine Arts at 16250 Northland Drive in Southfield
- “Umoja Art Basel: A Contemporary Affair,” a gallery-show featuring more than 30 African American contemporary artists, opens this weekend with a special celebration. Journalist Ed Gordon is hosting the program on Fridays. The opening ceremony continues on Saturday as well. There will be free merchandise, an art raffle, snacks and more. The gallery features local and international artists. The gallery is open until March 11.
Are you hosting an event next weekend? email us about [email protected],